Wednesday, February 4, 2009

SEWING

I bought my first sewing machine in 2003. We had just moved into a larger house with many windows and my grandmother insisted this was something I needed. I purchased a Viking Husqvarna Freesia 415. It sat in the trunk of my car for almost a month. I moved it to the living room floor (still in its carton) where it sat for another month. Then I cleared out a space in the laundry room where it was idle for 2+ more months. During this time, I bought several yards of fabric to make curtains and comforters for my boys’ bedrooms.

Finally, I took a sewing class and have been hooked ever since. I’ve made pillows, curtains, comforters, window seats, pajama bottoms for my kids and myself, boxers for my husband and most recently, Xmas stockings.

I would love to learn how to sew my own clothes. Unfortunately, this has proven to be far more difficult for me than sewing up rectangles and squares. The couple of shirts I have sewn went into the trash can.

Lately, I have been obsessed with the idea to give it another go. I read just about anything related to sewing including many sewing blogs. What an incredible community of very talented people. I think they will keep me inspired.

Intrigued by the website http://www.burdafashion.com/ and the reviews at http://www.sewingpatternreview/ I subscribed to the Burda Magazine. I LOVE this magazine. It contains all the patterns of the clothes they profile (and there's many), sewing tips and instructions. You can see how everything looks made up and modeled on a real person as well as a technical drawing. Each item is rated according to sewing level.

Now, to organize an area dedicated for “SEWING ONLY”

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin